With the festive season upon us, we are all looking for nutty recipes to use what we get! What better way than to use almonds, that are a source of 15 nutrients including vitamin E, dietary fibre and protein, among many others! Apart from a nutty flavour, it adds oodles of crunch and a dash of healthiness to your dishes! Chef Manish Mehrotra brings you one of his specialties to try this festive season.
Spiced Almond Banana Jaggery Cake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup jaggery powder
1½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
½ cup slices almonds
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp orange zest
1¼ cup mashed bananas
3 cups maida
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
- Melt one-fourth cup of the butter. Pour two tablespoons of the melted butter into an 8-cup pan; brush the butter over pan sides and bottom.
- Mix together the jaggery, cinnamon, nutmeg and almonds. Sprinkle the bottom of pan with half the jaggery mixture; combine the remaining mixture with the remaining melted butter and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the remaining one fourth cup of butter with the granulated sugar until it is blended well. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until blended well. Beat in the mashed banana.
- In another bowl, mix the maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this dry ingredient mix to the banana mixture. Add in the buttermilk and stir until blended well.
- Preheat your oven at 180° C.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Spoon the remaining jiggery-sugar mixture evenly over the top and then cover it with the remaining half of the batter.
- Bake in at 180° C in the preheated oven until a long wood skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. This will take about 50 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire rack for about five minutes and then invert the cake onto a serving plate. Serve the cake warm or cool.
Image courtesy Chef Manish Mehrotra
Also Read: Festive With Healthntrends: Almond & Sesame Pinnis