One's libido, which is simply their sexual drive or desire, can be affected by a wide range of both internal and external circumstances. Your libido can be affected by a variety of factors, such as your hormone levels, medications that one takes, and sleep patterns.
Loss of libido or sex desire is a common condition in both men and women, either from physical or psychological factors, or a mix of the two. Physical factors may include diabetes, high blood pressure, hormone imbalances, and neurological abnormalities. Examples of psychological reasons include stress, anxiety, and depression.
There are several things that you can do to help improve your libido, feels experts. “Exercising regularly and staying hydrated is necessary for sexual health. It can help to improve blood flow and reduce stress levels. At the same time, eating a healthy diet is required for overall health and can help to improve sexual function,” says Dr. Poonguzhali Liston, MS OB/GYN, Advanced diploma in ART and RM, Medical expert at Kindly, Bengaluru-based sexual health & wellness startup, who shares healthy eating tips to increase libido:
· Pomegranate Juice: Pomegranate is rich in antioxidants, which reduce inflammation and cell ageing, increasing sexual drive. It's a natural testosterone booster, because low testosterone equals low libido. It contains ellagitannins, which limit testosterone conversion to oestrogen and enhance blood circulation, thereby curing erectile dysfunction.
· Watermelon & Carrot Juice: Citrulline, which is found in watermelon and is converted to nitric acid in the body, aids in the augmentation of penial blood flow, thereby curing erectile dysfunction (action similar to medication like Viagra). Carrots contain a lot of Beta carotene, which boosts general vitality and sex desire.
· Saffron: It is due to anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-depressive properties that enhance sexual satisfaction in both men and women.
· Dates: Consuming dates increases sperm quality and quantity. It is one of the most beneficial naturally occurring fruits to male fertility.
· Avocados: High on Vitamin E with healthy fatty acid and Boron. Boron prevents the degradation of testosterone.
· Fresh fruits and vegetables: High in vitamins and minerals and improve overall health.
· Salmon & Nuts: High omega-3 fatty acid content boosts dopamine synthesis and increases libido.
· Oysters: High in zinc, stimulates blood flow, and enhances fertility.
“If you can make these simple changes, you should start to see an improvement in your libido in no time. However, suggested visiting an expert while experiencing a loss of libido to identify the cause and avail the best treatment procedure,” concludes Dr. Poonguzhali.
Also Read: Boost Your Health With These Potent Superfoods!